|Leupp is in Eastern Arizona. It is in Coconino County. The town is situated along the southwest bank of the Little Colorado River, in the southwest corner of the Navajo Indian Lands. It is just off of Interstate 40, on State Highway 99.|
During the 1800’s, there were scattered settlements near the Little Colorado River. The river’s water drew many to the area. This region has long been a path for travel by the Navajo Indians.
The Navajo Indian Nation combined all its lands in 1936. The center for the Navajo Nation was also established during this period in Window Rock, Arizona. The Navajo Nation decided that there would be Navajo chapter organizations dispersed throughout the Indian Land. These chapters evolved into local government units servicing the local residents. Leupp was selected as one of 110 Navajo chapters.
In 1961, the Bureau of Indian Affairs rebuilt the boarding school. The school became the center for social and political activities.