Remnants of the military fort founded by the Spanish in 1752 have been uncovered by University of Arizona archaeologists and preserved by Arizona State Parks. An underground display features portions of the original foundation, walls, and plaza floor of the Presidio (fort) de San Ignacio de Tubac. Spanish soldiers established the fort to control the lcoal Pima and Apache Indians and serve as a base for further exploration of the Southwest. Also featured are a picnic area, an 1885 schoolhouse, and a visitor center with historic exhibits tracing Tubac's precarious past from the days of Apache raids through its 1860 status as Arizona's largest frontier town. It is located 45 miles south of Tucson off Interstate 19 near the community of Tubac.