Clarkdale is at the upper end of the Verde Valley in Yavapai County approximately 110 miles north of Phoenix and south of the Grand Canyon at an elevation of 3,542 feet. Topography of the area is characterized by numerous mesa sand buttes along the rise from the Verde River on the east, at 3,300feet, to the Mingus Mountains on the west, at 7,000 feet. Clarkdale, incorporated in 1957, was laid out in 1914 near the site of the Clarkdale Smelter, which was financed by Senator William A. Clark of Montana. Construction of the smelter began in 1910 and it processed ore from nearby Jerome until 1952. Clarkdale was a company town way ahead of its time with many modern amenities. The old mining and smelter sites and clubhouse are listed on the National Register of Historic Sites.

 

Clarkdale developed as a service center for the mining area around it. The growing population spurs the housing and construction industries and makes for active retail and service sectors within a five-mile radius of this community. Peck's Lake is the site of the Verde Valley Ranch, a 977-acremixed-use, master planned community of 900 homes currently under development by Phelps Dodge Development Corporation. Peck's Lake will continue to be accessible to the public. The Phoenix Cement Company, on a 2,000-acre site, is one of only two Arizona portal and cement manufacturing plants. Artists and production craft persons utilize the original high school and elementary school as facilities. CTI, a trucking firm, headquarters in Clarkdale and is a major employer. Varied custom manufacturers and producers serving the construction industry are part of Clarkdale's industrial and professional community. Clarkdale is home to Mold-in-Graphics and Reactive Metals serving manufacturers internationally. The Arizona Central Railroad Company, which has a 1500-toncapacity, makes a daily 38-mile freight run to connect with the Santa Fe. The Arizona Central Verde River Canyon Line is a 19-mile scenic-passenger tour up the Verde River between Clarkdale and Perkins Ville.

 

Clarkdale's location makes the varied scenic, historic and recreational areas of the Verde Valley and north-central Arizona easily accessible. Historic Main-Town Clarkdale preserves its “model town” look and an ambiance perfect for walking tours. In addition, the historic downtown district offers two restaurants and an Antique Emporium and Soda Fountain. Sycamore Canyon Wilderness area, a quiet and beautiful 26-mile canyon is perfect for short walks as well as lengthy backpacking. Tuzigoot National Monument, immediately east of Clarkdale, dates before 1000 AD. This 42-acre site houses three large Sinagua Indian pueblos containing over 100 rooms. Dead Horse Ranch State Park is a 300-acre park with a visitor contact station and facilities for camping, picnicking, and fishing.

Bit of History

Clarkdale was named after William A. Clark, who was a Senator from Montana.  He was the former owner of the United Verde Mines.  Clark decided to purchase this land, which was previously known as Jordan Ranch.  The town became a smelter town.  The United Verde Copper Company built the smelter in 1911 because the United Verde mines in the town of Jerome had outgrown their smelter.  Jerome had experienced cave-ins and a lack of land to build. 

 

In 1914 the town was founded.  Clarkdale was a model, planned town with beautiful homes and streets.  It was a company town way ahead of its time.  There were many modern facilities.  The old mining and smelter sites including the clubhouse are on the list of National Register of Historic Sites.  The smelter was completed in 1915 and had a monthly capacity of four million five hundred thousand pounds of ore.  The smelter continued to process the ore until 1952 when it closed down.  It wasn’t until 1957, when the town was incorporated. 

Clarkdale was named after William A. Clark, who was a Senator from Montana.  He was the former owner of the United Verde Mines.  Clark decided to purchase this land, which was previously known as Jordan Ranch.  The town became a smelter town.  The United Verde Copper Company built the smelter in 1911 because the United Verde mines in the town of Jerome had outgrown their smelter.  Jerome had experienced cave-ins and a lack of land to build. 

In 1914 the town was founded.  Clarkdale was a model, planned town with beautiful homes and streets.  It was a company town way ahead of its time.  There were many modern facilities.  The old mining and smelter sites including the clubhouse are on the list of National Register of Historic Sites.  The smelter was completed in 1915 and had a monthly capacity of four million five hundred thousand pounds of ore.  The smelter continued to process the ore until 1952 when it closed down.  It wasn’t until 1957, when the town was incorporated.