The Pascua Yaqui Indian Lands lies in southern Arizona, 15 miles southwest of Tucson. Currently, there are over 8,000 members with 2,000 living on the Indian Land.
The Pascua Yaqui Indians are descents from the ancient Uto-Atecan people. The tribe fought against the Spanish beginning in 1533 and then attacked the Mexicans up until 1870.
The first communities were established near Nogales and South Tucson. Later, the Pascua Yaquis moved north of Tucson and created Pascua Village. They also began the community of Guadalupe, outside of Phoenix. By 1920, there were estimated to be more than 2,000 members.
In 1952, the tribe lost its land at Pascua Village, when the City of Tucson annexed the community. Then in 1964, Congressman Morris Udall presented a bill to transfer 202 acres of land southwest of Tucson to the Pascua Yaqui. The goal of the bill was to create a place where the tribe could continue to keep its cultural traditions. The bill was approved in August 1964, making it the newest Arizona Indian Land. The Pascua Yaqui Association was formed to receive ownership of the land from the federal government. After moving onto the Indian Land, the Pascua Yaqui continued their mission to be recognized by the federal government. This quest for tribal identity was finally achieved in 1978. Then in 1982, the tribe gained an additional 690 acres. Later on, in 1988 the first constitution was created.
Today, they call themselves the Pascua Yaqui Tribe of Arizona. They operate a landscape nursery, bingo hall and a manufacturing site for adobe blocks. The tribe continues its Christian teachings and still holds on to their religious and cultural way of life.
The Pascua Yaqui are known for the cultural paintings done by children and deer dance status.
The land is home to the Casino of the Sun.
Tribal Recognition Day September