The Cocopah Indian Land is 13 miles south of Yuma and 15 miles north the San Luis, Mexico in Yuma County. It is at an elevation of 103 feet. Today, the tribe has 750 members.
President Woodrow Wilson established the Cocopah Indian Lands in 1917 through an Executive Order. The land created two sections, the West and East Cocopah Indian Lands covering 1,772 acres. In 1985, President Reagan signed the Cocopah Land Acquisition Bill. This bill increased the size of the Indian Land by almost 6,000 acres, including 600 acres for the North Cocopah Indian Lands.
In 1987, a convenience store, gas station, smoke shop and bingo hall were developed. These establishments were built to help the tribe become self-sufficient. Soon afterward, a casino and the Cocopah Bend Recreational Vehicle Resort were constructed.
Today, the Indian Lands are divided up into three separate areas, East Cocopah Indian Lands, West Cocopah Indian Lands and North Cocopah Indian Lands. The tribal headquarters is in Somerton.
The Cocopah are known for their beadwork.
An 1800’s Cocopah Indian Village can be seen after taking a train excursion from Yuma to Cocopah West Indian Lands. Yuma Valley Live Steamers work with the tribe in creating this train line. The village welcomes visitors with jewelry sales and Indian fry bread.
Cocopah Land Acquisition Day April