Fort McDowell Indian Land
Fort McDowell Mohave-Apache Indian Land lies along the banks of the Verde River in Maricopa County. It borders Fountain Hills and Scottsdale and is 20 miles northeast of Phoenix. It sits at an elevation of 1,350 feet. Today, the tribe has 850 members consisting of the Yavapai, Mohave-Apache and the Apache Indians.
In September 1903, the Fort McDowell Indian Lands were established by Executive Order. The 24,680 acres of land includes the site of Fort McDowell, which was named after General Irwin Mc Dowell. The fort was once an important outpost during the Apache Wars between 1865 and 1891.
This Indian community is also the birthplace of one of the first human rights advocates. During the 1920’s, Carlos Montezuma was stolen by Pima Indians and sold to an Italian photographer. The photographer took Carlos to Chicago and gave an education. Carlos went on to become a doctor. In his later years, he fought for Native American rights and was a crusader for regaining the Yavapai-Apache homeland.
The Fort McDowell Mohave-Apache Indian Land is known for its basketry and JoJo Bean Oil.
The tribe hosts recreational activities at the Verde River. Camping, swimming, picnicking and floating down the river are all popular pastimes, especially during the summer.
The land is home to Fort McDowell Gaming Center.
Sovereignty Day May
Orme Dam Recognition Day November