Picacho, Picacho Peak and Red Rock are in the lower Santa Cruz
River Valley in south-central Arizona. These three unincorporated
communities are 50 miles northwest of Tucson in Pinal County.
The name Picacho is Spanish for peak or point. This area was
important to early travelers because it had water and was
halfway between Tucson and the Gila River.
Picacho Pass was the scene of the only Civil War battle fought in
Arizona. It took place in April 1862, when troops from the
Union's California Volunteers encountered a detachment of soldiers
on guard duty from the Confederacy's Texas Volunteers. A
post office was established in 1881.
Red Rock is a red butte near the Southern Pacific Railroad. At
one time, a branch spur line to the Silver Bell Mine smelter had
its junction with the Southern Pacific Railroad at Red Rock. A
post office was established in 1887.
The Santa Cruz Valley economy is based on agriculture. The
communities of Picacho and Red Rock were established as ship-ping
points for area agricultural products. Livestock, cotton, cit-rus
and pecans are predominant products shipped from these
The other major economic activities in the three-community area
are wholesale/retail trade and services. These sectors include old
and well-established businesses supplying agricultural products
and farm implements, as well as many new firms located along
Interstate 10 to serve travelers along that route.
The Santa Cruz Valley, including Picacho, Picacho Peak and Red
Rock, is rich in scenic and historic attractions offering a wide
variety of recreational opportunities for residents and visitors
Picacho Peak State Park, located at Picacho Pass along Interstate
10, opened in 1968. The park provides hiking trails that lead to
the summit of the majestic peak, as well as camping, picnicking,
and other facilities. Rock hounds will enjoy the selection of distinctive agates, a type
of quartz with bands of color, that can be found at the nearby
The 472-acre Casa Grande Ruins National Monument is north of
the Valley, near Coolidge. This facility displays a four-story structure
of coarse caliche, built about 1350 A.D. by the Hohokam
Indian farmers of the Gila Valley. Arizona's famed Superstition
Mountains are 60 miles north of the Santa Cruz Valley near