This is the site of a ranch that dates back to around the turn-of-the century. There are two maintained buildings here, a log cabin and a barn built of railroad ties, as well as a old corral and water reservoir. The weathered remains of three additional log cabins, which probably date to the late 1870s, are also found here. The ranch's namesake, James Douglas, is buried in a hillside grave located a few hundred yards down the road east of the cabins. His marble headstone reads: "In Memory of JAMES DOUGLAS, died Aug. 29, 1884, Aged 64 years." The Johnson Cattle Company used the site for their ranching operations in the first decades of this century. Today, it houses Forest Service crews during the summer season. Visitors are welcome, but are asked to respect the privacy of the occupants. Vehicle access to this site is restricted by a gate when the buildings are not occupied.
Location: About 15 miles southeast of Williams, Arizona.
Access: Take Fourth Street (County Rd 73) south from Williams about 9 miles and turn left on FR 110. Follow this for about 5 miles to FR 747 and turn left. After a short distance, turn right on FR 14. You will soon see the turnoff to JD Cabin on the left. County Rd 73 and 110 are paved or cinder surfaced and are suitable for passenger cars. A high clearance vehicle is recommended for FR 14.