In 700 A.D. the Hohokam Indians moved to the area and used an irrigation system for their crops. Then the Sinaguan Indians resided in this spot. Then word sinagua means “without water”. These people relied on rainfall to maintain life. In 1066 A.D. the Sinaguan left because of a volcanic eruption. Later the Anasazi Indians built multistoried dwellings. But in 1300’s something happened and the Anasazi’s disappeared.
It wasn’t until 1865, when some men set off from Prescott in search of a place to establish a farming settlement that this spot became inhabited again. They chose a spot where the West Clear Creek meets the Verde River to build a settlement. After planting crops and bringing in livestock the Yavapai and Apache Indians, who lived in the area became upset with the encroachment on their land. The tribes raided the settlements.
These raids cause the Army to step in to resolve the unrest. Thus, Camp Lincoln was established in 1865. The name was later changed to Camp Verde due to so many camps had been given the name Lincoln, in honor of Abraham Lincoln.
General George Cook arrived at Camp Verde in 1872 to end the fighting. The Indians were placed on the Rio Verde Reservation in 1873. Then the federal government took the reservation away two years later, this move caused the tribe to go to the San Carols Reservation. The Indians were forced to march 150 miles to the San Carlos Reservation to live. This famous march was named “March of Tears”. Many Indians lost their lives during the trek.
Then in 1879, the name changed again, this time to Fort Verde. Soon the wars in the area were almost over and Fort Verde closed in 1891. Today you can visit the surviving buildings left from the fort.